Dungeons & Dragons - Hoard of the Dragon Queen
Mischievous gnome with a general distrust of everything.
- Darkvision: Spackles can see in dim light within 60 feet of himself as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. He cannot discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
- Gnome Cunning: He has advantage on all Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma saving throws against magic.
- Natural Illusionist: He knows the minor illusion cantrip. Intelligence is his spellcasting ability for it.
- Speak with Small Beasts: Through sounds and gestures, he can communicate simple ideas with Small or smaller beasts.
- Otherworldly Patron: Spackles has struck a bargain with an Archfey in return for:
- Expanded Spell List: faerie fire, sleep
- Fey Presence: His patron bestows upon him the ability to project the beguiling and fearsome presence of the fey. As an action, he can cause each creature in a 10-foot cube originating from him to make a Wisdom saving throw against his warlock spell save DC. The creatures that fail their saving throws are all charmed or frightened by him (his choice) until the end of his next turn. Once he uses this feature, he cannot use it again until he finishes a short or long rest.
- Pact Magic: His arcane research and the magic bestowed on him by his patron have given him access to various spells ( minor illusion, true strike, mage hand, comprehend language, hex, witchbolt) and invocations ( armor of shadow, devils sight).
- City Secrets: He knows the secret patterns and flow to cities and can find passages through the urban sprawl that others would miss. When he is not in combat, he (and companions he leads) can travel between any two locations in the city twice as fast as his speed would normally allow.
Not much is known of Spackles’ early life except that he was abandoned at a young age. He was found by a drifter (Saeed) and placed into the custody of nearby orphanage. Despite his miniature size Spackles is very cocky.
Spackles does not have many friends, though he managed to stay in touch with Saeed, and is even called upon when Saeed finds work. Spackles owes his life to a pair of half-orcs (Garok and Orakor) after they saved him from a group of angry villagers in Amn. Spackles is also very well acquainted with the halfling known as Arrodel, as they both grew up in the same orphanage.
Of the small handful of associates that Spackles keeps in contact with, his greatest is perhaps his pet mouse Tinker. Tinker is the only one Spackles knows that trusts the general public less than himself, and it’s that common distrust that makes TInker such a good friend.
Even though Spackles is not a very social man, it’s his reputation as a worshiper of ancient evil that keeps people at bay. Shortly after leaving the orphanage to make a life of his own, he made a pact with the Archfey in exchange for arcane might.