Dungeons & Dragons - Hoard of the Dragon Queen
A nomadic practitioner of martial arts
- Unarmored Defense: While James is wearing no armor and not wielding a shield, his AC equals 10 + his Dexterity modifier + his Wisdom modifier.
- Martial Arts: He gains the following benefits while he is unarmored and wielding only monk weapons and his not wearing armor or wielding a shield:
- He can use Dexterity instead of Strength for the attack and damage rolls of his unarmed strikes and monk weapons.
- He can roll a d4 in place of the normal damage of his unarmed strike or monk weapons. This die changes as he gains monk levels.
- When he uses the Attack action with an unarmed strike or a monk weapon on his turn, he can make one unarmed strike as a bonus action.
- Ki (2/rest, DC = 8 + proficiency bonus + Wisdom modifier): James has learned to harness the mystical energy of ki. His access grants him the ability to spend ki points to gain the following benefits:
- Flurry of Blows: Immediately after he takes the Attack action on his turn, he may spend 1 ki point to make two unarmed strikes as a bonus action.
- Patient Defense: He may spend 1 ki point to take the Dodge action as a bonus action on his turn.
- Step of the Wind: He may spend 1 ki point to take the Disengage or Dash action as a bonus action on his turn, and his jump distance is doubled for the turn.
- Unarmored Movement: His speed increases by 10 feet while he is not wearing armor or wielding a shield.
- Discovery: The quiet seclusion of his extended hermitage gave him access to a unique and powerful discovery (i.e. great truth about the cosmos, the deities, the powerful beings of the outer planes, forces of nature, a site that no one else has ever seen, a long forgotten fact, an ancient relic that could rewrite history, or incriminating evidence).
James was born to a humble family just south of Greenest. He did not grow up spoiled, yet he never went without. His parents were always supportive of every decision he made, and this did not change when he decided to leave on a journey of self-discovery.
One of Jame’s earliest acts of heroism was stumbling upon a young abandoned gnome. The gnome had no name, but James still escorted it to a nearby orphanage. Although it is years later, he has kept in contact with the gnome he now knows as Spackles.
Of all of Jame’s qualities, his bravery is his greatest. He is calm, even in the face of the greatest danger. He has gained this ability through his training, which will one day help him to gain total mastery over his mind and body.